Our Favorite Brands for Organic Baby Mattresses
Are you committed to using organic baby products to create a safe and healthy sleeping environment? Making your baby’s sleeping experience completely “green” includes choosing natural baby products for everything from the crib and the sheets all the way down to the mattress. Using an organic crib mattress will prevent the negative health consequences associated with petroleum-based chemicals present in conventional mattresses. Unlike conventional mattresses, organic mattresses are made from natural materials such as organic wool, rather than highly toxic materials such as polyurethane foam. The natural materials that comprise organic mattresses require minimal to no flame retardant chemicals due to their inherent flame resistance, making these mattresses the safest choice for your baby. To help you pick out the best organic baby mattress, here’s a list of our favorites.
- Naturepedic – Naturepedic’s organic baby mattresses are made with organic cotton fabric and filling. Crafted without fire retardant chemicals or barriers and filled with organic cotton rather than wool or latex, these mattresses are perfect for even the most sensitive skin.
- Newton – With the Newton crib mattress, your baby can sleep soundly and breathe comfortably, even if he can roll onto his belly. Designed with your baby’s sensitivities in mind, this mattress no has latex, adhesives or foam. Filled with 90% air and 10% food-grade polymer and without off gassing, the Newton crib mattress is a great hypoallergenic mattress choice for your baby.
- Nook Sleep – The Nook Pebble Pure and Pebble Lite offer two options of non-toxic mattresses for your baby. The Pebble Pure comes with a latex core and a cover made with organic cotton, zinc, polyester, eucalyptus and a nylon zipper. If a latex core is not an option for your baby, the Pebble Lite is made with a non-toxic CertiPUR foam core and an organic cotton, zinc, polyester, eucalyptus and nylon zipper cover. The pebble design of these mattresses promotes airflow through and on top of the mattress, promoting a safer night’s sleep for your baby.
- A. Baby 2-in-1 – This L.A. Baby mattress is made with quilted organic cotton and hypoallergenic polyester. This mattress has a firm side for your newborn and can be flipped over for the softer toddler side. Your child can sleep comfortably on this anti-bacterial and non-toxic mattress through the first few years.
- Pure Rest Organics – Pure Rest Organics offers organic crib mattresses made without chemical flame-retardants and with a core of either natural latex or 260 untreated steel coils. With the option of organic cotton quilted wool or an untreated wool moisture pad for the outer material, you are sure to find a mattress that suits your baby’s needs.
- Secure Beginnings – Secure Beginnings creates a mattress that is air-permeable, allowing your baby to breathe right through the mattress if they have rolled over. The mattress is an unusual organic baby product, because it does not require sheets, as the poly fiber surface fabric serves as the sheets and is easily removable and machine washable. This waterproof mattress and base is made without toxic chemicals, allowing your baby to sleep in a safer environment.
At Baby Begin, we’re committed to keeping babies healthy, whether that means recommending organic baby products or treating more serious issues such as flat head syndrome. Baby Begin wants to be a resource you can trust. We offer not only these informative articles but also therapy and education for babies and their families to help them overcome obstacles such as plagiocephaly and torticollis. For information about Baby Begin, please visit our website or any of our social pages, including Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.